Monday, April 26, 2010

Where There's Smoke, There's No Tire...



Today, I headed for Nebraska with a plan in mind. I would get to Scottsbluff in time for lunch and do a few hotel inspections. Unfortunately, my tire had other plans.

While going about 75 mph on I-25 (yes, the speed limit is 75), I was getting engrossed in an audiobook I had downloaded and heard a strange sound. I couldn't tell if it was coming from my car or not. Then, I felt some bumpiness, figured it was the rear tire, and pulled over. When I got out of the car, I smelled burning rubber and saw smoke coming from the tire. SMOKE! The tire had disintegrated, exposing two large holes.




See the pile of tire crumbs on the ground? Shocking! I didn't think a tire could do that... I mean, I've seen strips of tire, but this was bizarre.

Luckily, I'm okay. After spending three hours dealing with the situation, I still made it to Nebraska with the assistance of four new Goodyear tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment