Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cheyenne, WY Keeps It Real



If you venture out west, you may see something called Rocky Mountain Oysters on the menu. It's kind of a joke with a potentially serious punch line... well, if you take what you put in your mouth seriously.

Basically, they're not oysters, friendos... they are, as this menu from The Albany Restaurant in Cheyenne points out, Bull Nuts. Testicles from a cow.

I've lived out west my whole life and I've never tried them. I mean, as far as I know, they are only served one way (battered and deep fried), which means they probably don't taste very good on their own. It makes me wonder if people just serve them as a way to trick unsuspecting tourists or if it's some kind of western-macho-pissing-contest thing.

I like how Cheyenne keeps it real, though. No subterfuge, just straight forward and to the point.

"Excuse me, mam. Would you like to sample some of our Bull Nuts?"

"Don't mind if I do."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a bull penis. Or balls. Good point that no one is eating this dish tartare. It's a braggy/dare thing. I couldn't have less interest. One gets only a few appetites a day and I don't want to waste one on bull's balls.

iLuv said...

I agree. When I started this job, I took every opportunity to sample unusual food items like frog legs (the skin texture was weird) and foie gras (okay in small amounts- not my favorite). It was a no risk situation- if I didn't like it, the company was paying for it and I was eating three courses anyway. One thing about my job, I will not starve.

However, bull nuts never appealed to me. I just don't see the point.

Post a Comment