Thursday, April 22, 2010

Kahill's (vegetarians avert your eyes)





I knew my adventures in the prairie would lead to mass consumption of beef. I had concerns... mainly for my ticker. However, I have to say, this steak at Kahill's in South Sioux City, NE was delicious. I liked the little stick confirming that my steak was, indeed, medium rare.

One steakhouse trend that I find annoying is the entree not being accompanied by a side. You have to pay extra for it, which makes sense to some degree, I guess. I mean, I can't count how many times I've opted to not have a side at all or simply not eaten it. My problem is the plate looks naked. At least they put a little mashed potato on this one to make it interesting.

I've been to restaurants where they do something unique with the veg, but the portion is more reasonable than what you would find at an Outback. It takes more time and creativity, but I think it's worth it. I think you should have one side option included with the entree. If people want more, then they can order more.

Steak will bore me eventually. I couldn't get enough as a child and teenager, but my job has changed me by diversifying my palate. For now, though, I'll remember this one fondly.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

agreed that they should offer at least one side and you buy more if you wish...I do have to say that steak looks faboosh!

iLuv said...

It was and I was able to get a glass of Malbec. Yum. I think I might buy one of those small wine coolers for the house so we can keep some reds in stock.

Karri said...

I so agree with you, it drives me crazy to eat at a place that makes you purchase your veg separate from your protein. It does make the plate look sad.

That said, Ruth's Chris prime steak cooked in BUTTER is pretty awesome. You still have to get your spinach on the side.

iLuv said...

I'll have to try that, Karri. I'm a big fan of butter...

Unknown said...

I remember the Black Angus used to put that little stick in the steak. Classy AND informative.

Post a Comment