Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It Will Give You the Runza



Apparently, Nebraska has a fast food restaurant chain called Runza. I should have been suspicious from the name alone, but, for some odd reason, I thought it was a Subway type establishment. Assumption fail.

I walked in and realized it was more like a McDonald's with the exception of its signature sandwich- the Runza. Well, I decided when in Runza, eat a Runza.

The weird mystery meat reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite place it. The flavor was oniony and the color a greyish-brown. It was almost like a mix between a White Castle burger and a sloppy joe... the texture of a sloppy joe, but with the taste of White Castle instead of red sauce. The plain, flavorless white hoagie style bread was disgraceful.

The thing is, I love food that is bad for you. Nothing makes me happier than a fatty burger or an extra cheesy pizza. I just prefer it to be made from quality ingredients. My mouth still waters when I think of the Wagyu beef sliders and duck fat fries my friend J and I had at Tag Restaurant in Denver. It doesn't have to be wagyu beef (although why the hell not?), but it has to be better than the overly processed mystery meat at Runza (yes, this is where I draw the food snobbery line).

I ate what I could and then went to the grocery store Starbucks. Say what you want about Starbucks, at least it's fairly consistent and offers some healthier options.



In sum, if you see one of these restaurants, Runza. Sorry, I couldn't resist... Runza? Seriously!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're obligated to go to these places because people from Nebraska or those who have visited there will ask you for the rest of your life. Did you eat at a Runza?

iLuv said...

I had to eat there for my job. My company rates restaurants. Although we rate regional chains, our focus is on independents. We don't rate national chains because most people are familiar with them (i.e. most people know what a McDonalds or Applebees offers).

Post a Comment